Saturday, December 22, 2012

Butter is my favorite cheese and mayonnaise is my favorite butter

So it has been nearly FOUR years since I have written here.. call it terminal writers block or whatever you like, but this morning I decided it was time to bring this here blog back to circulation.  I never know when inspiration will strike me, but strike me it did at the farmers market today when my good friend Sara Zoe said this catch phrase that has not left me since... Butter is my favorite cheese and mayonaise is my favorite butter.... and of course that got me to thinking about mayonaise and just how amazing it is...


 I love mayonaise. One of my favorite uses for mayonaise is dipping french fries in it.. But it cannot be just any mayo, mind you. It has to be Hellmans or even better, homemade. It seems like you cannot get Hellmans or homemade in any restaurants anymore..which makes me sad.. but it is ok because I have the technology to make french fries at home.. which gives me the freedom to fry my fries in any kind of fat possible.  My favorite is either goose fat, or duck fat,  though in the absence of either of these lard will most definitely do.. or beef tallow.. french fries fried in anything but animal fats just makes them less appetizing.  The texture is better, crisper even.. and yes animal fats (especially those from grass fed animals) are healthy.

 But I am here to talk about mayonnaise.. Mayo is the vehicle for amazing flavor.. Some of my favorites are mayo mixed with any habenero pepper sauce, or with sri racha sauce, or curry, or just about anything you like.  Not only does it provide a great canvas for the palate, it also can be a great way to keep salmon from sticking to the grill.. a very reputable seafood restaurant that worked in during my sojurn in the restaurant business slather their coho slamon with dill mayo..it was a baby sized coho salmon which would give you fits if there was not enough mayo on it..it would stick to the grill, get dried out or just fall apart if you did not apply a good slathering of dill mayo. When properly slathered, you would get perfect grill marks too. To top it all off we would put a big dollup of dill mayo on top..  Then there is roasted chicken slathered with mayo.. now I can only speak to what I have heard about it, but if all the stories I hear about how good a roasted chicken is slathered with mayo before roasting, it is on my to do list. Bearing in mind that the sky is the limit and that the variations in what you put in the mayonnaise are endless.


  Of course a discussion of mayonnaise cannot be complete without delving into the world of aioli, caeser salad dressing and one of my very very favorites... Hollandaise sauce... all of which are great with the french fry...never mind all of the other things that those sauces can go on. All those sauces are similar to mayonnaise in that they can be turned into completely new taste sensations by the addition of a simple ingedient or two ..I am not going to write about that right now.. for now I will just leave you thinking about the possibilities... and perhaps(hopefully) it will not be four years before I post again....but if it is..I hope between now and then that you have a big plate of french fries slathered in mayo or even hollandaise..I would be remiss if I did not mention that I cemented the bond of my very favorite love relationship over a plate of french fries and mayonnaise..

No comments:

Post a Comment